In 2018, the Senate of Latvia celebrated its centenary. The month after the founding of Latvia – on the 19th of December 1918 – the Senate of Latvia was established, which was the highest instance court of the Latvian judicial system – the cassation instance court. Therefore, 2018 is also the centennial of the Senate of Latvia.
The Supreme Court is the continuator of the work and tradition of the Senate of Latvia and also ensures the preservation of its history. The centenary of the Senate, an important event not only in the history of the Supreme Court and courts of Latvia, but also in the history of the State of Latvia, is celebrated throughout the year.
All information on the events of the centenary of the Senate can be found in this section.
Centenary mark of the Senate of Latvia
The Supreme Court has chosen Sipji Oak from Rumba parish as the symbol of the centennial of the Senate of Latvia. Rumba parish is the homeland of Kristaps Valters, the first Chair of the General Assembly of the Senate of Latvia. Symbolic mark of the centenary of the Senate of Latvia was officially opened by the Supreme Court during the celebration of 99th anniversary of Latvia on November 17.
An oak in memory of Kristaps Valters, first Chair of Assembly of the Senate
04.10.2017. In honor of the first Chair of the Senate of Latvia – Kristaps Valters, born in Kuldiga, representatives of the Supreme Court planted a memorial oak in Kuldiga and visited the senator's resting place in Rumba parish. With this event, the Supreme Court initiated the celebration of centenary of the Senate of Latvia.
Exhibition on the Senate of Latvia at the lobby of the Supreme Court
21.12.2017. The exhibition "The Senate of Latvia - 100", which was opened at the Supreme Court on the on the 99th anniversary of the Senate, reflects the history of the cassation instance of the judicial system of Latvia – the Senate of Latvia – since its establishment in 1918 until its liquidation in 1940. As well as it tells about fates of the senators after the Soviet occupation. Exhibition will be open all year round until the centenary anniversary of the Senate of Latvia.
The Supreme Court presents the film “Senators” on the centenary anniversary of the Senate
21.12.2017. On the centennial of the Senate of Latvia, the Supreme Court offers to watch the film "Senators", which is the story of thirty Latvian senators – judges of the cassation instance in the first period of the Free State of Latvia from 1918 to 1940. The Supreme Court invites the local authorities of senators' birthplaces to cooperate by learning facts about and honoring lives and contribution to Latvia of their compatriots – the senators of the Senate of Latvia. Also, the Supreme Court will gladly react to the call to show the film at other places that have been significant in the lives of senators, including universities, courts and elsewhere.
Articles about the senators
- Augusts Lebers: The lifetime of a Baltic lawyer dedicated to Latvian civil rights. 08.09.2015.
- Vladimirs Bukovskis: Classic of civil procedure. 30.04.2013.
- Family tree of Senator Voldemars Zamuels at the Supreme Court Museum. Jurista Vārds, 03.08.2010.
About the previous anniversaries of the Senate of Latvia
- 75th anniversary in 1993: the succession of the judicial system of Latvia is celebrated for the first time, a solemn meeting is taking place in the Palace of Justice.
- 80th anniversary in 1998: the Senate's legal heritage is analyzed for the first time at the solemn sitting; Ditrihs Andrejs Lebers (Dietrich André Loeber), son of Senator Augusts Lebers, reads an exhaustive report "The Senate of Latvia – Then and Now".
- 85th anniversary in 2003: Judges are awarded for contribution to operation of the Court and a website of the Supreme Court is opened.
- 90th anniversary in 2008: a formal sitting is held; a memorial place is opened in the museum; Brochure "The Senators, The Senate of Latvia, 1918-1940" is issued.
- 95th anniversary in 2013: the festive sitting and premiere of documentary "The Senate of Latvia - 95. Yesterday and Today" is taking place; the Supreme Court is congratulated by the Faculty of Law of the Moscow State University; but the Faculty of Law of the University of Latvia gives the Papinianus Award to the Supreme Court.
Kristaps Valters’ memorial oak being planted by Inga Berzina, Chair of Kuldiga District Council, and all the Chief Justices of the restored Supreme Court of the Republic of Latvia (on the right) Gvido Zemribo, Ivars Bickovics and Andris Gulans
The heirs of the senators and creators of the film “Senators” after the film's premiere on December 19 at the “Splendid Palace” cinema
Videmars Rumpeters with his sons and Mara Vaciete next to the donation – the library of Senator Augusts Rumpeters
Chief Justice of the Supreme Court Ivars Bickovics gives Cesvaine municipality a photograph of the Senate of Latvia in 1938 when Aleksandrs Gubens was the chair of the Senate's General Assembly
The Presidents of the Supreme Courts of the Baltic States donate books to the People's Book Shelf at the Latvian National Library
Chief Justice of the Supreme Court Ivars Bickovics and relatives of the senators Janis Skudre, Mintauts Cakste, Janis Ankravs, Fridrihs Vesmanis, Augusts Rumpeters, and Vladimirs Bukovskis