The Supreme Court Museum was created in 1998 on the eightieth anniversary of the Supreme Court Senate. The foundation of the museum was greatly facilitated by Dietrich Andrejs Lebers, the son of the Senator Augusts Lebers, both by donating valuable objects and documents from his father’s archive and by providing financial support via the August Leber Memorial Foundation to set up the Museum.
The museum contains historical evidence and documents dating back to 1918. These testify to the beginnings of the Supreme Court Senate and the opening of the Palace of Justice on December 9, 1938. Materials containing evidence of the changes to the judicial system introduced by occupation powers and the fates of its Senators during the Soviet period, their historical heritage, are collected.
See information about guided tours in the Court and the Museum here.
More about the Supreme Court Museum
- The Supreme Court is visited by Ehlers family. 27.06.2018.
- Registers of the sessions and assignment hearings of the General Assembly of the Senate are digitized. 11.06.2018.
- The Supreme Court receives donation – the collection of legal literature of Senator Augusts Rumpeters. 03.05.2018.
- On White Tablecloth Day the movie “Senators” is shown in Garkalne. 03.05.2018.
- Senators Aleksandrs Gubens and Mikelis Gobins are commemorated in Cesvaine. 03.05.2018.
- The Supreme Court releases the film “Senators” on the centenary anniversary of the Senate. 21.12.2017.
- Exhibition of the Senate of Latvia at the Supreme Court. 21.12.2017.
- Valka Local History Museum thanks the Supreme Court for assistance in creation of the new exhibition. 13.12.2017.
- Granddaughter of Senator Augusts Rumpeters gives her book to Supreme Court Museum. 14.11.2017.
- Exhibition on History of the Chambers of the Supreme Court. 16.12.2016.
- The Supreme Court donates stand of old photographs to Riga Regional Court. 11.11.2016.
- Exhibition about 10 years of the Themis Award of the Supreme Court is created. 21.12.2015.
- Judge Skultane presents her robe of a judge of the Constitutional Court to the Museum. 25.11.2015.
- Great-Grandson of Vladimirs Bukovskis visits the Museum of the Supreme Court. 21.10.2015.
- Zemribo presents manuscript of historical document to the Museum of the Supreme Court. 21.10.2015.
- An exhibition dedicated to August Loeber is opened in the Supreme Court. 08.09.2015.
- Story about Janis Skudre, the Senator of the Senate of Latvia is published in a book. 20.10.2014.
- The Supreme Court calls to restore historical title of the Senate. 21.02.2014.
- On the 95th anniversary of the Senate of Latvia its legacy – succession, judicature and understanding of judge’s mission in legal state – is stressed. 20.12.2013.
- The Faculty of Law of Moscow State University congratulates the Supreme Court on anniversary of the Senate. 20.12.2013.
- Exhibit of the museum of the Supreme Court – senator’s family tree – is used in the lecture about Voldemars Zamuels. 23.05.2013.
- The Supreme Court has strengthened society’s trust to search for justice in Latvia. 21.11.2011.
- Gvido Zemribo, the first Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, is awarded with the Order of Three Stars. 03.11.2011.
- In remembrance of deported and perished senators of Latvia’s Senate. 14.06.2011.
- Family tree of the senator and first chief prosecutor Voldemars Zamuels has been presented to the Supreme Court. 15.06.2010.
- In the afternoon of memories role of the Supreme Court in processes of restoration of independence of Latvian state has been remembered. 19.05.2010.
- The employees of the Supreme Court receive Memory Medals for Participants of Barricades. 26.01.2010.
- The daughter of Senator Mintauts Cakste is on the visit in the Supreme Court. 10.03.2009.
- A memorial place to the senator Teodors Bergtals opened in the museum. 26.12.2008.
- The responsibility of the Supreme Court and the judges discussed during the 90th anniversary of the Senate. 22.12.2008.
- Recollection of the activities of the Latvian National Front group in the Supreme Court. 08.10.2008.
- Commemoration of the Senator Skudre opens the 90th anniversary of the Latvian judiciary. 21.07.2008.
- Memorial plaque opened to the senator Janis Skudre of the independent Latvia. 02.08.2007.
Historical exhibition of the Supreme Court is displayed in the basement of the Supreme Court building. The entrance to the basement is through an extremely heavy iron door. According to rumours, it was planned to build bomb shelter there in Soviet period
Dietrich Andrejs Lebers with his grandson at the Supreme Court signing the guest book of the Supreme Court
Andris Gulans, the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, at new museum exhibition opening in October, 2005
In October 2015, during his visit to the Supreme Court, the great grandson of Vladimirs Bukovskis, senator of the Latvian Senate, Igors Bukovskis and Ivars Bickovics, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court compares two treasures – two exemplars of Civil Code of 1937 forged in silver. The State President Karlis Ulmanis presented thirteen such copies to developers of Civil Code. The Supreme Court has the copy given to Augusts Lebers, but family of Bukovskis keeps copy once given to Vladimirs Bukovskis.